Monday 31 December 2012

Blog 61 - In Memory of My Dad

My Dad passed away from a heart attack on New Years Day in 2003 - 10 years ago today.


I have written a poem in memory of Dad. My Dad was my hero and he believed in me. Even though I struggled emotionally with having a craniofacial syndrome, my Dad accepted it and sought for me to have the best life I could. He pushed me out into the world and encouraged me in everything I did. He was always proud of me. For that I am thankful.



 




 1 January 2003 was that fateful date.

The date my Dad’s soul went away.

The date his heart ceased to beat.

For me a truly awful day.

 

Shock, bewilderment we all felt.

It was too quick to say goodbye.

Dad was happily eating lunch with me, cracking jokes,

asking about Melissa…

I didn’t know he were about to die.

 

Dad had one heart attack at home.

Mum took him to the ER.

Then another one struck him whilst in there.

It damaged his heart muscle too far.

 

Being called into that conference room,

Being told that Dad was no longer here.

Then seeing him on that bed…then in his coffin,

Brought floods of endless tears.

.-.

Growing up I was ‘Daddy’s little girl’.

We had a special bond.

I was the apple of his eye.

Of me he was very fond.
 

Dad was so proud of me -

My achievements, ambitions and dreams.

He hugged tightly and encouraged always.

He was permanently on my team.

 

Dad taught the world about Crouzon Syndrome.

An embarrassment I was not.

His education of society back then,

Would have helped acceptance of me a lot.

 

When it was time for me to have,

Both my big facial surgeries.

Dad was there to support me through.

I remember being in ICU and him reading me stories.

 

As an adult when I was recovering from domestic abuse,

Dad was my backbone.

He gave me inner strength,

He helped me to stand up tall,

And to go out on my own.

 

When Joe had visa problems,

Dad stepped in straight away.

He helped us find help to sort it out,

So Joe could come back to Australia to stay.

 

When Melissa was born with Crouzons,

A wonderful Gramps he was – the best.

During Melissa’s first op he held my hand,

Helping me to cope with the stress.

 

In 2002 on Anzac Day,

Dad marched proudly carrying the NASHO flag.

We excitedly watched him walk on past.

Mum, Joe, Melissa and I giving him a big wave.

 

Then on Fathers Day 2002, there was Pop, Dad and Joe.

Unbeknown to us, the final one.

So too Christmas Day –

That red Santa hat and lots of fun.

.-.

So many wonderful memories -

Camping at the beach and Dad drinking cups of tea.

Fishing, body surfing, canoeing, boating, going for drives,

Scotch Finger biscuits and Have-a-heart ice-creams.

 

Helping me to play tennis,

Dancing with Dad, acting silly, whistling and singing songs.

Eating Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate and sharing his oranges with me.

In Dad’s eyes I could never do wrong.

.-.

The world has been a better place

Because my Dad was here.

He remains permanently in my heart.

I will always hold him dear.
 
I love you and miss you Dad. xxx




© 2012 by Jenny Woolsey
No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior permission

No comments:

Post a Comment