Monday 6 August 2012

Blog 13 - Ultrasounds and a Baby Girl

Because of my 50/50 chance of passing on Crouzon syndrome I had many ultrasounds.

To begin with it was thought that my baby girl may have had Down syndrome because she had thickening of the base of her neck (nuchal translucency). But this was later ruled out.

As time progressed and as the baby's head got bigger, it was thought that there was a strong chance that the baby would have the syndrome. The technician thought he could see some fused skull sutures and she had wide set eyes. But he was not 100% sure.

We went into the birth expecting Crouzons but had to wait until our baby was born to know for sure.

Because Crouzons was suspected I was booked in to have a cesarean.

In April my beautiful baby girl was born. My husband asked the paediatrician if she had Crouzons and the paediatrician's reply was 'she is just like her mother'.

I did not cope well with this news, but put on a brave face. I felt very guilty that I had passed on the syndrome. But Melissa was my beautiful baby girl and I loved her dearly. No way did I know what lay ahead for my precious little baby.


© 2012 by Jenny Woolsey
No part of this blog may be reproduced without prior permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment